Installing/flashing custom ROM for your Nexus One is must if you want to get latest Android OS update into your smartphone. When you buy this device you only get outdated Android 2.1 (Eclair) and if you want to get the most of your phone you have to upgrade it, the latest version of Android (smartphone version) is Gingerbread, this update bring tons new features and improvements. This guide will show you step how to installing custom ROM which already available in android developers forums such as xda-developers. And keep in mind by flashing any ROM, you are taking full responsibility for whatever happens to your Nexus One smartphone. We just help you by writing this guide.
Step by step how to install / flash custom ROM on HTC Nexus One
We want make it simple so here are step by step tutorial from us :
- SD card partitioning (optional), this step is required if you want App2SD features on your smartphone, here’s the guide.
- Root your smartphone, you can use SuperOneClick to do that, download here and read carefully how to use it. If you already on Android 2.3.4 you can’t get root access with this, you have downgrade it first to 2.3.3 take a look at here to know it.
- Installing a recovery image, There are two custom recovery images available for your Nexus One Amon_Ra’s & ClockworkMod Recovery. Most Nexus One developers recommend you to utilize Amon_Ra’s, download it here and read carefully how to install it, I think using Terminal emulator is easiest way, you can download Terminal emulator from Android Market.
- Choose the ROM that you want to download, it’s .zip file and then move it to your SD card.
- Turn off your phone and then turn it on again while holding volume-key down.
- Navigate to Recovery Menu using volume-key and Power-key to select options.
- Select Backup/Restore options (optional), if you need to backup your previous ROM, but I think you need it.
- Select Wipe >> Wipe ALL data/factory reset, after done go ahead with Wipe Dalvik-cache.
- Return to main recovery menu select Flash zip from sdcard >> Choose zip from sdcard, to find your downloaded ROM file.
- Wait and see the flash process till finish.
- Done with flashing go to main recovery menu, and then choose reboot.
It’s not difficult right ? If you get battery issue after updating you can go to recovery menu (step 5 and 6) and find Wipe battery stats. Hope it helps and good luck.