My brother bored with stock Eclair on his SE’s android smartphone and ask me how to update Xperia X8 to official Gingerbread or Froyo. But when I tell him that X8 will never get official update from Sony Ericsson, and that’s sounds bad for him. So the last alternative is buying latest SE android phone, such as Xperia Ray or manually update Xperia X8 using custom ROM. For those who really need to upgrade their android smartphone, today we write step by step tutorial how to do that, we summarize from xda forum to make it newbie-friendly. As always you need to know that flashing might cause your phone brick, me or developers are not responsible no matter what happens with your phone.
Step by step how to install custom froyo / gingerbread ROM on Xperia X8
- Before you decide to do anything else, make sure you has latest firmware and baseband. Go to Settings > About Phone to find out, if you already has firmware 2.1.1.A.0.6 and baseband M76XX-TSNCJOLYM-53404015 you’re ready to go. In case you have different version, you need to get official update via PC Companion.
- If you want save more space on X8 that’s mean you need to activate App2SD features by partitioning your SD card, read tutorial here. Please note only give ext2 partition with 1 GB or less.
- Root your android smartphone using SuperOneClick download here. Some note before rooting, enable “Unknown Resources” (Settings > Applications) and also “USB Debugging” (Settings > Applications > Development), charge your phone, and check USB drivers on SuperOneClick.
- Installing xRecovery for backup and flashing tools, for installation and instructions go here.
- Download custom Android 2.2 or 2.3 from xda, we suggest you to use GingerDX ROM as this ROM frequently updated, but you’re free to choose another one. Download and then rename it update.zip and then place it to SD card (/sdcard/update.zip)
- Boot into xRecovery, turn off > turn on > after Sony Ericsson logo appears press back button few times.
- Backup your stock ROM by select “Backup and restore” menu, after that Factory reset (full wipe) your android X8 smartphone.
- Upgrade to Froyo / Gingerbread for Xperia X8, select “install update.zip from SD Card” and then find ROM from step 5 to start upgrade process. Wait till the end, approximately 3-7 minutes.
- Done flashing, now reboot your Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 by choosing reboot menu, and wait up to 10 minutes for first boot.
- Enjoy your latest update on your android smartphone
Video above show how Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) work on our X8, look nice right ?